City Services & Department Updates
Read information below related to COVID-19 impacts on city services, such as permits and inspections, parks and recreation, recycling, yard waste, and more.
City Hall Is Closed to the Public—Services Continue
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and in an effort to ensure the health and safety of our community members, staff, and their families, the City of Arden Hills has closed City Hall and its facilities to the general public. A Local Emergency has been declared for the City of Arden Hills.
- Staff will be available by phone or e-mail during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance, please call 651-792-7800, or access the staff directory. For sewer and water problems after hours, call 651-767-0640.
- City services will continue without interruption, but new procedures are in place for obtaining building permits and inspections; accessing Parks and Recreation programs; and use of City parks, recycling, yard waste sites, and more.
- Payments, correspondence, permit applications, and more can be submitted online or left outside City Hall in marked bins. The US Mail bin is used by the mail carrier. Use the locked drop box for utility bill payments (checked daily by staff). There is a larger bin to drop off plan sets for permits.
- Based on the March 20, 2020 letter of determination signed by Mayor David Grant, City Councilmembers can attend meetings by telephone or other electronic means. Other Committees and Commissions will be held on a case-by-case basis. Please visit the website for updated scheduling.
Permits and Inspections
If you need assistance applying for or processing a permit, please call 651-792-7800. Visit Building and Permits to download and print a permit application. Completed applications can be sent by email to email@example.com, or by fax to 651-634-5137. Special accommodations may be made for larger, more complex permits on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the front desk to make prior arrangements.
The City Council has temporarily suspended door-to-door solicitor permits, including permits for non-profit organizations. If you see someone soliciting in your neighborhood, please call the city clerk at 651-792-7811 or the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office at 9-1-1.
Parks and Recreation
The Parks and Recreation Department has compiled a list of indoor, outdoor, and online activities for people of all ages, including seniors.
Note: Important information regarding the use of parks and trails.
Playground equipment is not regularly cleaned or sanitized; use at your own risk. There are 22 miles of trails in Arden Hills and 14 parks for residents to enjoy. Please practice social distancing by maintaining six feet of distance between other people, which may mean walking or biking in single file on trails. Families should ensure children wash hands after being outdoors, avoid group play, and maintain social distancing. The National Recreation and Parks Association has released guidelines for park and trail use during this time.
Park Shelter Rentals
A temporary suspension of park shelter rentals has been cancelled. To rent a park facility, fill out a Facilities Rental Application.
Athletic fields may be available for use. All users will need to comply with the State’s guidance and seek approval from the city. Contact Joe Vaughan at 651-792-7848 for an application and to submit a return-to-play plan for clubs and teams.
Compost Bin Sale
The year-round pick-up option for compost bins has been suspended in order to follow CDC and Minnesota Department of Health guidance on social distancing.
Event Recycling Containers
The lending program for temporary recycling containers has been suspended.
Fix-it Clinics have been canceled for the remainder of 2020.
Food Scraps Collection
Food Scraps Collection sites are open at this time. Please follow the social distancing guidance recommended by the CDC and Minnesota Department of Health if more than one person is dropping off food scraps at the same time. The CDC and MDH recommend keeping six feet of space between yourself and others.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Product Reuse Center at the year-round site at 5 Empire Drive in Saint Paul is currently closef and all Household Hazardous Waste collection sites are temporarily closed. See site map.
Recycling services are still being provided. Please follow your regular pick-up schedule. For more information, contact your city or your recycling service provider.
Medicine collection sites are open at this time with the exception of North St. Paul and White Bear Lake. The CDC and MDH recommend keeping six feet of space between yourself and others, if more than one person is dropping off unwanted medicine at the same time.
Reuse and Donation Resources
Due to the COVID-19 response, store hours and policies may have temporarily changed. Please contact businesses directly for accurate, up-to-date information. Visit the Reuse and Donation Resources webpage.
Ramsey County Yard Waste Sites are open, including the Arden Hills site, as follows: M, W, F, 11:00 a.m. to 7 p.m.; T and Th Closed; S, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m..; Su 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The CDC and MDH recommend keeping six feet of space between yourself and others when visiting the sites.
Master Gardeners’ Booths
Master Gardeners’ booths at county yard waste sites have been postponed, as a part of the county’s COVID-19 response.
Curbside Pickup of Garbage
Please place all waste materials in your trash bin. Republic Services and some city trash haulers are temporarily collecting cart contents only to limit employee contact with materials. Material placed beside your carts will not be collected.
Public Works Sanitary Sewer Alert
Alternatives to toilet paper will clog the city’s sanitary sewer system. Only flush toilet paper! The following products are not acceptable to flush down your toilet: paper towels, facial tissue, baby wipes, flushable wipes and other similar items.