News Flash

City News

Posted on: September 7, 2023

THC/Cannabis Update

THC Update

There have been a number of recent changes to State Law regarding the sale of lower-potency hemp edibles (less than 0.3 percent THC) and full-strength cannabis products. Due to a recent moratorium passed the City Council, full-strength cannabis sales are prohibited in Arden Hills until January 1, 2025. This means that no business can sell full-strength cannabis products in the City until at least after that date. Note the moratorium does not pertain to the Medical Cannabis Program as administered by the MN Dept of Health.

The City Council recently discussed how to approach the sale of lower-potency products. At the August 28 City Council meeting, the City Council approved an ordinance that had the following stipulations for the sale of lower-potency products, like gummies or THC-infused beverages, the highlights of the ordinance are:

  • Lower-potency products may be sold by a retail establishment, restaurant, or service station that is already licensed for liquor or tobacco sales in the commercial zoning districts as a conditional accessory use only. This means there cannot be a standalone store exclusively selling lower-potency THC products, and THC product sales would not be permitted in the City’s residential or industrial zoning districts.
  • Any business interested in selling lower-potency products must come before the Planning Commission and City Council for a Conditional Use Permit. 

Part of the process for these ordinance updates was to hold a public hearing on the changes. The City Council did not receive any public feedback regarding the new rules. 

At the September 11 meeting, the City Council adopted a separate ordinance prohibiting tobacco and cannabis/THC use within open spaces. Smoking, vaping, consuming any tobacco or THC/cannabis, or offering to sell is strictly prohibited in places like parks, trails, and other city-owned open spaces.

Please continue to check the City's website for updates, and if you have questions, please contact City Hall at 651-792-7800. You can also visit the League of Minnesota Cities Adult-Use Cannabis webpage of the Minnesota Office of Cannabis Management website to get answers to many questions regarding the new law.

Facebook Twitter Email