In 1943 the department started as a Volunteer Fire Department and over time it evolved to a Paid‐On‐Call department which provided a relief association pension to those who served for 10 years or more. Firefighters were paid a nominal amount of money for the calls and training they attended.
In 2002 a full‐time Fire Chief was hired to run the department. Additional full‐time staff were added over the years including a full‐time Office Manager, Assistant Chief, Deputy Chief/Fire Marshal and Deputy Chief/Emergency Manager.
With an increase in calls and training requirements, the department
initiated a station staffing program (Duty Crew) that puts firefighters
physically in the stations 24/7 and allows firefighters to respond immediately
from a station rather than being called in from home to respond to calls.