Building & Permits
****Procedures for obtaining building permits and inspections have changed. As City Hall is now closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please follow the Updated Processes (PDF) for submitting building applications and plan sets, as well as requests for inspections.
- The City of Arden Hills has adopted the 2020 Minnesota State Building Code. Minimum standards have been established to provide a level of safety and performance for all structures.
- Building inspection requirements (PDF) are checked during inspections to make sure these minimum standards are being met.
Information for Contractors
Contractors needing to obtain permits in Arden Hills may find the necessary applications and handout on the Information for Contractors web page.
Information for Residents
Property owners doing work on their own property are allowed to apply for building permits without the need for a contractor’s license.
Property owners will be required to complete an Acknowledgement of Property Owner Form (PDF).
Do I need a Permit?
Most home building and remodeling projects require a permit through the city before starting construction; however some are exempt. Review Which Homebuilding and Remodeling Projects Require a Permit? (PDF)
Permit Application Process
To obtain a permit, you must submit a permit application. Please include the required fee and all necessary materials and information.
- A ten-business days turnaround period applies if city plan review is needed
- Upon approval of the permit, construction must be underway within 180 days or a new permit will be required
- Upon finishing work, please make sure to contact the city so an inspection may be conducted
- A minimum notice of 24 hours is required for all inspections