Siding, Windows & Exterior Doors

A building permit is required for siding, windows, & exterior doors. In order to apply for a building permit you need to be either a licensed state residential contractor or the property owner. A permit is required for replacing siding covering more than 25% of a wall. All windows and doors (new or replacement) require a building permit.

Exterior walls shall provide the building with a weather-resistant exterior wall envelope complying with ASTM D 226. The material shall be installed per manufacturers installation requirements and perform as follows. The exterior wall envelope shall be designed and constructed in a matter that prevents the accumulation of water within the wall assembly by providing a water resistant barrier behind the exterior veneer/siding. It shall also provide for a means of draining water that enters the assembly from the exterior. All exterior openings shall be flashed in such as a manner that does not allow water to enter the wall cavity.

Please note: Some FAN – FOLD backer materials may not be approved as a weather resistive barrier. The product must meet ICC testing AC 71

Some Basic Rules for Siding
  • The siding must be approved for the spacing of the studs, 16” OC or 24”
  • Fasteners for the siding shall be aluminum, galvanized, or have a rust-preventative coating and driven through the sheathing and into the studs a minimum of ¾”
  • Staples shall have a minimum crown of 7/16” and a #16 gage wire.
  • Vinyl siding shall comply with ASTM D 3679, Hardboard siding shall comply with AHA A135.6
  • Aluminum siding requires aluminum nails

Exterior Openings, Windows, & Penetrations

Windows shall be installed per the manufacturer’s installation requirements. Typically, this will mean that 15# felt or other approved wrap is installed (shingle flashing manner) on the bottom and sides of the window, covering the framing members jambs and extending outside and over the exterior weather resistive barrier in such a manner as to allow for water to drain out and away from the walls interior. At the top of the window or opening, a drip cap needs to be installed. Felt or an approved wrap shall be applied over the drip cap and extend over and past the side window wrapping. For existing windows in place, an approved layer of flashing material shall be installed over the bottom, then sides, and lastly at the top over the drip cap, making the opening water tight. Sealants should be applied as necessary to protect the building. Where a roof eave ends into a wall, kickout flashing shall be installed. (See illustration below)

Kickout Flashing Image

Required Inspections
An “ in progress” inspection is required for the water resistive barrier for siding and ice & water barrier for roofing. The contractor should notify the inspector when this will be ready for inspection.

* A minimum 24 hour notice is required for all inspecitions.

The entire building does not need to be exposed as long as the contractor takes pictures of the covered water barriers and has them available at the final inspection. The purpose of the progress inspection is to assure proper installation of the barriers including any flashing details before covering. When roof is completed, please schedule a final inspection with pictures on site to close out the permit.

Please note: All damaged and rotted wood/sheathing shall be removed and replaced. Any untreated wood within 6” of grade needs to be replaced with treated or non-organic material. Material and product specifications shall be on site for review. A final inspection is required to verify proper installation of the material, flashings, sealing of openings, and review of any necessary pictures of covered uninspected weather-barriers. Address numbers need to be installed a minimum of 4” in contrasting color and visible from the street.

MN Energy Code Requirements

Combustion air supplies must be provided in accordance with MN rules 1346 when cladding installation exceeds 50% of exterior walls, or replacement of more than 50% of exterior windows and doors combined. In lieu of combustion air a carbon monoxide detector may be installed. Residential windows shall have a U value of .35 or better, skylights, .60.